Sunday, May 20, 2007

 

"I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies"

C and I completed our weekend-long intensive lamaze class. Overall, it was really great. Today was especially fun. We did massage and breathing exercises, and practiced different positions to be used during labor. I definitely feel like I know more about giving birth than I did before. I do feel like now I can have more control about the labor and moving the baby down. We watched videos showing different labors and births, and we did see one C-section, which convinced me more than ever that I DO NOT WANT ONE, unless it is medically necessary. The instructor was very good about saying "partners" instead of "Dads" most of the time, but at one point we did feel very judged when she asked us all about circumcision, and we said we were planning on having our son circumcised. She is of course very pro-Lamaze, anti-planned C-sections (unless, again, of course if it is necessary due to medical reasons), pro-active childbirth techniques. She didn't seem too judgemental about the epidural choices (only myself and one other woman said we were planning on having an epidural -- the other women all wanted to try for natural childbirths, and some of them were going to give birth in the birthing center instead of the regular delivery floor).

My feet and ankles have been swelling like crazy. I have really big legs and ankles anyway, but now they have no definition at all. Tree trunks. Part of the class today was devoted to massaging the feet and ankles and legs to promote circulation, and it felt awesome, and the instructor said it should help with my swelling too. Now we're nervous about preclampsia; actually, one of the couples in our class did not come back today because last night she started bleeding. It turned out that she had a ruptured placenta and had to have an emergency C-section due to preclampsia (!!!!). That couple had the latest due date of anyone in the class -- July 14th. The husband came by and told us that the baby had been born at just over 3 pounds so was getting special premie care, and that his wife hadn't even gotten to see their baby yet. He did seem very happy and positive about it all. But that kind of scared me a little bit.

We're going to have a reunion in September to meet the new babies. I hope the one who was born last night is okay!

I have to give my last final exam on Thursday, and then I'll finish up grading papers and tests for that class, turn in grades, and then I will be officially done with this semester. We have been making tons of to-do lists. Things to do before our families come next weekend for the baby shower. Things to do before Avery is born! Call and register with the pediatrician, pre-register at the hospital, continue working on the adoption, wash all of the baby clothes, set up the crib, clean everything, and take a babycare/CPR/ breastfeeding class.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>