Wednesday, December 20, 2006

 

why cheat?

I just read my third plagiarized paper of the semester from my lit class students. This particular student handed in the paper I think 2 months late so I shouldn't have accepted it anyway, but of course I did. This is ridiculous. I am so frustrated. I feel now that I am suspecting any decently-written paper to be plagiarized. The thing is, these students don't even seem to try to make it difficult for them to be caught: they cut and paste from websites and it's SO easy to find out -- just type a sentence from their paper into the Google search engine and see what pops up.

I have never had this sort of problem before (or maybe I'm just more aware of it now) and it is extremely annoying and disappointing.

Comments:
I had something similar happen to me the first semester I taught composition. One of my students turned in a paper and I thought it was pretty good, and I graded it and suggested revisions. Then for the midterm the students had to revise the first half of the semester's papers and turn them in. When I was rereading that particular paper, suddenly it dawned on me that some of the phrases were TOO good. I just googled a sentence and found most of the paper was from an article online. I conferred with our Composition Director and the case was submitted to the Judicial Board for Plagiarism. The whole thing sucked, and I felt bad, but I was also annoyed because it was really stupid that he had done that.
 
yeah i had to deal with that teaching the leadership class at msu. it's easy to find those phrases online. it's the dumbest thing for anyone to do. fail them. it's an important lesson to learn.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>