Friday, September 08, 2006

 

Just food


I must be nervous about something (I wonder what?) because I am SO HUNGRY lately. And not hungry for lunch or dinner but for things like a CARROT CAKE. The whole damn thing. Or French fries and nachos or both..for breakfast. I have to keep this in check or else I am going to gain a ton of weight in this process. So far I have not eaten entire cakes...but only because I've bought slices! I also have a hankering for healthy things, too. I need to encourage that portion of my appetite and ignore the cake portions!

Speaking of healthy, I think that Rebecca and I are going to join a crop share organization. This is an organization where we, as urban New Yorkers, actually invest in a portion of a local upstate farm. In return for our investment we get deliveries of fresh vegetebales for the 24 weeks of crop season. We also have to commit to a couple of hours of work either on the farm or in the distribution site. This year's shares are full, but I have signed us up for next year. I feel really good about this. I've been reading a lot about the importance of eating local fresh prodce, and I'm trying to commit to it. When you think about it, it's a little crazy that as US consumers we can essentially buy any fruit or vegetable at any time of year because the grocery stores will import everything. It's just weird to me. I've been trying to experiment with recipes using fresh vegetables bought from the farmer's market. Today I saw a recipe for watermelon cucumber soup and I might try it...but that may be too weird. We'll see.

I have always enjoyed food (as my vuloptious hips, thighs, etc. prove!) I am hoping that this experience and commitment will allow me to enjoy food in a more "back to the earth" healthy way...and less in an unhealthy "gotta eat a carrotcake" way. I also think it would be a great thing to be part of as parents...to be able to teach our child about food and nature and cooking and vegetables in a socially just way.

Comments:
I think a CSA share is a great idea! A friend of mine had a great recipe for vegan carrot cake, we made it once and it was fantastic. There was no sugar, only chopped dates and raisins simmered in a little water, which also worked to bind all the flour and stuff together. It was a really simple recipe, if I can find it I'll send it to you! We did put cream cheese frosting on it, so it wasn't vegan anymore, but it was still relatively healthy.
 
Okay, here's a link to a similar recipe to the one we used. It only calls for 1/2 cup of carrot, which doesn't seem like enough for a carrot cake to me, but the rest of it sounds pretty close.


http://www.chooseveg.com/
display_recipe.asp?recipe=227
 
Thanks tote! Looks great (and healthy too!).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>